Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Pointhouse Road, Yorkhill Basin

Dock Basin (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Pointhouse Road, Yorkhill Basin

Classification Dock Basin (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Basin; River Clyde

Canmore ID 186428

Site Number NS56NE 1896.01

NGR NS 5591 6596

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/186428

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 1896.01 5591 6596

Yorkhill Basin, built c 1908. A large rectangular basin with single storey sheds on both sides. The shed on the east side was destroyed by fire in the mid 1960s. The adjoining wharf was authorised in 1868.

John Hume 1974.

Activities

Watching Brief (3 March 2008 - 23 July 2008)

NS 5591 6596 A watching brief was conducted between 3 March–23 July 2008, during the excavation of a series of super trenches associated with the construction of the Riverside Museum. Neither significant archaeological features nor artefacts were identified during the work.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Culture and Sport Glasgow

Martin Cook and Joe Feeney (AOC Archaeology Group), 2008

Field Visit (13 May 2015)

There is a single surviving mooring bollard at NGR NS56004 65989. This bollard survives from the West Basin dock that was built around 1908 and subsequently infilled.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 13 May 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions