Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, High Street, Trades Hall

Exchange (Period Unassigned), Trades Hall (18th Century)

Site Name Dundee, High Street, Trades Hall

Classification Exchange (Period Unassigned), Trades Hall (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Trades House

Canmore ID 186008

Site Number NO43SW 386

NGR NO 4038 3030

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/186008

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dundee, High Street, Trades Hall.

Architect: Samuel Bell. 1776-8

C.Edward (alterations) 1851.

Demolished 1878.

See Historical File (1.12).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (1988)

Designed by Samuel Bell in 1776, its classical and elegant structure was a sign of the growing prosperity of the Dundee tradesmen. Although some of the trades had possessed a hall in the Cowgate,12 the traditional meeting place of the crafts had been in the old Greyfriars gardens (the Howff) after 1564. Each of the trades possessed a room in the new Trades Hall in which to conduct their business. The cordiners craft commissioned Methven (the work was completed by H Harwood) to decorate their walls with a painting of their St Crispin procession, an annual event led by one of their number who represented their patron, Saint Crispin. This frieze is now in the City Art Gallery and Museum and is of interest not only as one of the few reminders of the Trades Hall, but also for the clear impression it gives of Dundee from the north-west at the turn of the 18th/19th centuries. The Trades Hall is now demolished.

Information from ‘Historic Dundee: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1988).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions