Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Kinnernie, St Mary's Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Mort Safe(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Old Kinnernie, St Mary's Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Mort Safe(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kinairnie; Kinerny; Old Parish Church

Canmore ID 18526

Site Number NJ70NW 12

NGR NJ 72530 09580

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18526

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Midmar
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online (2006)

Old Kinnernie. Abandoned, 1740, when parish united with Midmar; rubble-walled churchyard enclosure with footings of rectangular church, two mortsafes and some old stones.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ70NW 12 72530 09580

(NJ 7253 0957) Church (NAT) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959).

For present parish church of Midmar (NJ 6991 0650), see NJ60NE 12.

The church of Kinairnie or Kinerny was dedicated to St Mary and was granted to the Abbey of Arbroath by Thomas de Lundyn, the Durward (1204x11), the church being confirmed to the uses of ther abbey by Adam, bishop of Aberdeen (1207x28). A vicarage perpetual had been erected by 1250 and was confirmed by Pope Alexander III in 1257, the parsonage thereafter remaining with the abbey.

James Lindsay is mentioned as a reader in 1567, and the parishes of Midmar and Kinairney were united on 6 February 1740. .

A bell from this Church dated 1642, was transferred to Midmar Church in 1788, at the approximate time Kinairnie church was demolished.

H Scott et al 1915-61; F C Eeles and R W M Clouston 1960; Name Book 1866; I B Cowan 1967

Overgrown foundations 0.35m high.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS field Surveyor, September 1967.

Old Kinnernie, St Mary's church. Air photographs: AAS/00/12/CT.

NMRS, MS/712/100.

Activities

Field Visit (1866)

Name Book 1866.

Field Visit (September 1967)

Overgrown foundations 0.35m high.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS field Surveyor, September 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions