Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hill Of Alvah

Cairn(S) (Bronze Age)

Site Name Hill Of Alvah

Classification Cairn(S) (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Mill Of Alvah

Canmore ID 18490

Site Number NJ66SE 6

NGR NJ 6656 6018

NGR Description NJ 6656 6018 and NJ 6649 6017

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18490

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Alvah
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ66SE 6 6656 6018 and 6649 6017.

(NJ 6656 6018 and NJ 6649 6017) Tumuli (NR)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Two large tumuli or mounds of earth and stones: one still remains entire but a large quantity of stone has been removed from the other although the foundation still remains. Nothing of antiquarian interest has been found in the latter.

Name Book 1867.

Situated on the west shoulder of the Hill of Alvah at NJ 6656 6018 is a large grass covered mound of earth and small stones. It measures c.16.0m in diameter and has a maximum height of c2.0m. The top of the mound is level and slightly hollowed and measures c.70 x c6.0m. Several large stones protrude from the SE side of the mound. No evidence of a cist or a kerb was seen.

Situated at NJ 6649 6017 are the mutilated remains of a probable cairn. The cairn has been almost completely cleared out and all that remains is a multilated area c 20.0m in diameter with traces of stones here and there. No evidence of a cist or kerb was seen.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 October 1961.

No change.

Visited by OS (NKB) 1 February 1968.

Activities

Field Visit (1867)

Two large tumuli or mounds of earth and stones: one still remains entire but a large quantity of stone has been removed from the other although the foundation still remains. Nothing of antiquarian interest has been found in the latter.

Name Book 1867.

Field Visit (3 October 1961)

Situated on the west shoulder of the Hill of Alvah at NJ 6656 6018 is a large grass covered mound of earth and small stones. It measures c.16.0m in diameter and has a maximum height of c2.0m. The top of the mound is level and slightly hollowed and measures c.70 x c6.0m. Several large stones protrude from the SE side of the mound. No evidence of a cist or a kerb was seen.

Situated at NJ 6649 6017 are the mutilated remains of a probable cairn. The cairn has been almost completely cleared out and all that remains is a multilated area c 20.0m in diameter with traces of stones here and there. No evidence of a cist or kerb was seen.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 October 1961.

Field Visit (1 February 1968)

No change.

Visited by OS (NKB) 1 February 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions