Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 43 Magdalen Yard Road, The Vine

Villa (19th Century)

Site Name Dundee, 43 Magdalen Yard Road, The Vine

Classification Villa (19th Century)

Canmore ID 184689

Site Number NO32NE 236

NGR NO 39261 29454

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/184689

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

RCAHMS Threatened Buildings Survey 2009 (March 2010)

The Vine was built in 1836 for George Duncan MP. It is a substantial single storey villa, a neo-Greek pavilion set upon a plinth and set within spacious gardens overlooking the Tay. The architect is unknown but the similarities with Thomas Hamilton’s Arthur Lodge, Edinburgh have been noted by architectural historians Professor David Walker and Charles Mackean. The similarities include the neo-Greek style, the top lit hall, the decoration and the split level arrangement of accommodation.

The house has two principal facades. The south front is of five bays centred on the window of the library from which access can be gained to the garden. The house is entered on the east elevation which is of three bays. A vestibule with niches at the corners and a fine Minton tiled floor leads into the hall. The hall is divided by columns into two areas. The first provides access to the drawing room to the south, with its original plasterwork and fireplace, and the original dining room to the north. The latter has been subdivided and has lost its fireplace.

The inner part of the hall is lit by the cupola and has paired columns at each corner. This whole hall is exuberantly decorated. Much of the original decoration survives but there may have been some extra decoration added at the end of the 19th century. The inner hall has doors to the library which retains its magnificent fireplace and plasterwork. The north door in the hall opposite the library is a dummy or fake door. The west door on axis with the front door gives access to the stair hall. The stair retains its very fine cast iron balustrade. To the front is the original principal bedroom and dressing room. A tight ladder stair leads from the stair hall to a floored attic. The main stair rises a half flight to a dressing room, bathroom and two bedrooms, one of which lies behind the inner hall and the blind door. The staircase descends to the service accommodation and cellars. The original kitchen is located in the northwest corner of the house. Some of the original urns from the gardens are stored in the basement.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2010

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Built 1836

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Built for the George Duncan MP, said to be by Mackenzie, a Perth architect.

A single storey on a raised base plinth with cupola over the central hall, late Georgian with classical Greek and Egyptian design elements.

Photographed by RCAHMS in 2009 on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland series.

Information from RCAHMS 2011.

Activities

Field Visit (9 October 2009)

This A-listed house was recorded as part of RCAHMS' Threatened Buildings Survey on 9 October 2009 prior to its conversion. At the time of survey it was being used as offices and consulting rooms, with proposals to convert part of the building back into a dwelling.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2009

Photographic Survey

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions