Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Meadowside Place Buildings

Commercial Office (19th Century), Flat(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Dundee, Meadowside Place Buildings

Classification Commercial Office (19th Century), Flat(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 2 Meadowside; 1,1a Victoria Road; Bell Street; Camperdown Works Office; Cox Brothers Office

Canmore ID 184619

Site Number NO43SW 282

NGR NO 40239 30634

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/184619

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NMRS NOTES

Meadow Place Buildings

Offices for Camperdown Works

Architect: James MacLaren c.1886

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

OFFICE OF COX BROTHERS/ JUTE INDUSTRIES LTD

This 1883-6, Italian renaissance style building, far from the works in Lochee, was connected by telephone from the 1880s. It was expanded in

the 1920s as HQ of conglomerate Jute Industries Ltd.

Other jute company offices were smaller, and much business was transacted in the street, or from offices in Cowgate or King Street, in shared premises like Mercantile or India Buildings (Victoria Road) just west of Cox’s, the Chamber of Commerce or adjacent jute exchange (replaced by Royal Exchange Buildings, 1956).

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions