Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Old House Of Carnousie

Tower House (Medieval), Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Old House Of Carnousie

Classification Tower House (Medieval), Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Carnousie Castle; Carnousie House Policies, Auldtoun Of Carnousie; Mains Of Carnousie

Canmore ID 18403

Site Number NJ65SE 18

NGR NJ 67188 50409

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Forglen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ65SE 18 67188 50409

For Carnousie House (NJ 6740 4971) and associated buildings, see NJ64NE 41.00.

(NJ 6719 5040) Mains of Carnousie (NAT)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1904)

The castellated mansion, which is occupied as the farm-house of Carnousie Mains, is the Old House of Carnousie, built by the Ogilvies. The original part of the house is a perfectly preserved example of a castle on the Z-plan, one of the towers being round and the other square. The square tower bears the date 1577.

The exterior of the castle is more ornate than is usual, and is certainly one of the best examples of its kind in Scotland.

An oblong building was added to the west gable about 1757.

Eastward, part of the old massive garden wall still exists. Immediately to the north-west is an ancient well about 5 feet square and 20 feet deep. This well is still in use for supplying the house. Further down the slope is another, circular well.

W D Simpson 1936.

Carnousie Castle is as described above although no date-stone was seen on the square tower. The castle is now in a semi-derelict condition and is used as a farm-store.

The two wells are at NJ6717 5043 and NJ 6714 5051. The Northernmost well is enclosed in concrete and with a small pump house along side. The other well is capped with stone flagging and is probably now connected to the other to supply the farm steading at NJ 6702 5048. The garden wall stretches from NJ 6725 5035 to NJ 6728 5035 and formed part of the N wall of the now derelict garden whose W, S and E walls have been demolished.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 September 1964.

As described above.

Visited by OS (NKB) 30 August 1967.

Architecture Notes


Carnousie Old House which was a Category A Listed building was derelict when recorded in Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.


Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions