Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 10-11 Warriston Road, Warriston Works

Printing Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 10-11 Warriston Road, Warriston Works

Classification Printing Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 73 - 77 Logie Green Road; Powderhall Road; Waterston's Printing Works

Canmore ID 183996

Site Number NT27NE 866

NGR NT 25374 75455

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/183996

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 866 25390 75424

A printing works dating from 1902 (John Breingan), with red sandstone ashlar facades overlooking Warriston Road (mostly two-storeyed) and Logie Green Road (three-storeyed). The factory supplied the company's stationery and office supplies business. At the time of a RCAHMS photographic survey in December 2000, the premises were still in use, but were about to be let to another occupier.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), December 2000.

Activities

Watching Brief (May 2007)

NT 2539 7542 Work was carried out during May 2007 in advance of redevelopment for housing. The Waterston's Printing Works (a Category C(S) listed building) is a three storey, 14 by 4 bay building, rectangular in layout and located at the corner of Logie Green Road and Warriston Road. The building was designed by the Edinburgh architect John Breingan and completed in 1902 for G Waterston and Sons. A further extension, now demolished, was added to the rear of the original building in the late 1940s.The factory extension replaced an

earlier yard, bounded by a boundary wall with a two-storey lean-to structure along the southern limit. A watching brief was carried out during groundworks after the demolition of the extension to establish the presence/absence and nature of any archaeological remains that pre-dated the late 1940s additions. The watching brief identified a cobbled surface beneath the levelling deposits for the floor of the extension, representing the remains of the earlier yard surface to the rear of the main works building. No further archaeological remains were encountered.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS. Report deposited with City of Edinburgh Council SMR and RCAHMS.

Funder: PMP Architecture on behalf of AMA Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions