Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Watten Drill Hall

Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Village Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Watten Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Village Hall (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Watten, Village Hall

Canmore ID 183569

Site Number ND25SW 74

NGR ND 2421 5434

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/183569

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Watten
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (16 September 2013)

The drill hall at Watten is shown on the 2nd edition 1:2500 map of the area (surveyed 1905). It is not included in Osborne's list of drill halls and it is not known which unit or units used it in the First World War. It is now in use as the village hall. Its original form seems to have been a simple rectangular hall with entrance porch. It seems to have been extended.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 16 September 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Note (14 January 2014)

Watten was the drill station for G Coy. 5Bn. Seaforths.

Information from M Osbourne to RCAHMS 14 January 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions