Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thurso, 21 Sinclair Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Thurso, 21 Sinclair Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Canmore ID 183484

Site Number ND16NW 245

NGR ND 1153 6819

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/183484

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (17 July 2013)

The Sinclair Street drill hall was built before 1904 (when it appears on the 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map). The front block has two storeys with a central arched doorway with gable over, within which is a large three-lighted window to the hall. The building is now in use as commercial premises.

In 1914 it was the base for "E" Company, 5th battallion Seaforth Highlanders.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 17 July 2013

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions