Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Catden

Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned), Track(S) (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Catden

Classification Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned), Track(S) (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Hill Of Tillymorgan

Canmore ID 18289

Site Number NJ63SW 25

NGR NJ 643 345

NGR Description NJ 643 345 and NJ 648 349

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18289

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Culsalmond
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ63SW 25 643 345 and 648 349.

There are distinct double lines of entrenchment (NSA 1845). (Probably those sited by Crawford {1943} to NJ 645 348) in the immediate neighbourhood of the farm of Cadden, which protect the NW approach to the British encampment (NJ63SE 14). Roy (Roy Sheet No. 29/2), in 1745, marks 2 earthworks "deep and large" here and the NSA also records distinct traces of military works on the W bank of the Glen water opposite to Cadden.

NSA 1845; OS 6" map annotated by O G S Crawford 11 May 1943; Roy 1747- 55.

Two trenches, 0.8m average depth and c.5.0m wide, the more westerly being considerably ploughed down, extend from the River Urie, c.520ft OD, at NJ 643 345, in a NE direction onto the W shoulder of the Hill of Tillymorgan, c.950ft OD at NJ 648 349. They are formed by a series of contiguous depressions of varying depth, and could be exploratory trenches in association with the disused slate quarries nearby, or old watercourses rather than defences. Not antiquities. No trace of military works on the W bank of the Glen Water could be found.

Visited by OS (NKB) 1 April 1969.

(Name cited as Hill of Tillymorgan).

NMRS, MS/712/62.

(Classification amended to Earthworks; Trackways (possible)).Nothing is now visible of the earthworks previously described, but they are more likely to have been hollowed trackways. The ground on which they were situated has since been incorporated into a cultivated field, and was under stubble on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 25 October 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions