Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, 6-7 Mitchell Street

No Class (Event)

Site Name Edinburgh, 6-7 Mitchell Street

Classification No Class (Event)

Canmore ID 181644

Site Number NT27NE 863

NGR NT 273 763

NGR Description NT c. 273 763

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/181644

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 863 c. 273 763

NT 273 763. In advance of a proposed housing development, an evaluation was carried out in June 2000. A total of six trenches were excavated across the site. Trenches 1-3 were situated at the W end of the site, running E-W parallel to Mitchell Street. A large ditch was present in all three trenches, aligned N-S. This ditch is believed to be part of the French fortifications of Leith, constructed between 1548 and 1559.

Three wells, one of which had a timber lining, were also discovered to the E of the ditch. The other two wells had been backfilled with rubble and contained fragments of wood at the base. A large pit covering an area of 36.7m? was also discovered, from which early post-medieval pottery and a quantity of large mammal bones were recovered.

All of the archaeological features recorded in the evaluation had been heavily truncated by modern activity on the site.

Sponsor: Barrett East Scotland.

J Morrison 2000.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (June 2000)

NT 273 763. In advance of a proposed housing development, an evaluation was carried out in June 2000. A total of six trenches were excavated across the site. Trenches 1-3 were situated at the W end of the site, running E-W parallel to Mitchell Street. A large ditch was present in all three trenches, aligned N-S. This ditch is believed to be part of the French fortifications of Leith, constructed between 1548 and 1559.

Three wells, one of which had a timber lining, were also discovered to the E of the ditch. The other two wells had been backfilled with rubble and contained fragments of wood at the base. A large pit covering an area of 36.7m? was also discovered, from which early post-medieval pottery and a quantity of large mammal bones were recovered.

All of the archaeological features recorded in the evaluation had been heavily truncated by modern activity on the site.

Sponsor: Barrett East Scotland.

J Morrison 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions