Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Portsoy Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Portsoy Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Portsoy, New Station; Soy Park, Scout Hut

Canmore ID 17930

Site Number NJ56NE 11

NGR NJ 58934 65687

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17930

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fordyce
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ56NE 11 58934 65687

Not to be confused with (predecessor) Portsoy Harbour Station (NJ 5899 6584), for which see NJ56NE 10.

(Location cited as NJ 589 657). The replacement passenger station, formerly a 2-platform through station with the offices in a handsome single-storey building. Opened in 1884 by the by the Great North of Scotland Rly; now disused and boarded up.

J R Hume 1977.

The new station at Portsoy was opened (by the Great North of Scotland Rly) on 1 April 1884 (when the line was extended to form the 'Moray Firth coastal' route to Elgin), and closed to regular passenger traffic on 6 May 1963.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Portsoy Station.

Station probably opened 4.4.1884; closed 6.5.1968.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions