Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Visitor Centre

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Site Name Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Visitor Centre

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) New Power Station; Old Power Station

Canmore ID 178939

Site Number NT36SW 22.05

NGR NT 3333 6376

NGR Description Centred NT3333 6376 and NT3332 6377 to NT3334 6375

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/178939

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cockpen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 22.05 centred 3333 6376 and 3332 6377 to 3334 6375

Lady Victoria Colliery was very much a pioneer in the use of electricity underground. Originally the colliery generated its own power from two Curtis steam turbines. The turbines used the exhaust steam from the winding and haulage engines, and was supplemtented by the boilers. A 5000kw generator was introduced later, with the earlier turbines being held in reserve.

Replacing the Original Power Station the New Power Station was built in 1924. When the colliery became linked to the National Grid, abandoning electricity generation, this building was adapted to offices. It also housed the Lamp Room, to which the overhead gantry connects.

Information taken from Lady Victoria Scottish Mining Museum pamphlet dated 1991

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions