Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, British Coal Archive

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Site Name Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, British Coal Archive

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Colliery Workshop

Canmore ID 178938

Site Number NT36SW 22.04

NGR NT 3336 6379

NGR Description Centred NT3336 6379 and NT3336 6381 to NT3337 6377

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/178938

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cockpen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 22.04 centred 3336 6379 and 3336 6381 to 3337 6377

Collieries constantly needed machinery and equipment, these would range from simple tools to major pieces of equipment, often these had to be custom built. This workshop was built in the 1950's to supplement the neighbouring Central Workshops. Following the colliery's closure the Colliery Workshop was converted to form British Coal's Archive for Scotland.

Information taken from Lady Victoria Scottish Mining Museum pamphlet dated 1991

Site Management (5 February 2009)

WORKSHOPS: Single storey, arched windows within 6 recessed arched bays. Cornice, angle finials (cut down circa 1987) and decorative swept-roofed ventilators. Part of roof rebuilt flat. Demolished link to pithead may have held sinking engine.

The surface buildings and plant together form the best preserved pre-First World War model colliery complex in the UK. Complete model colliery comprising brick-built and steel-framed structures with sheet-metal-clad roofs. (Historic Scotland)

Originally abutting the pithead, the first of these buildings housed the Grant Ritchie steam engine, which was used for sinking the shaft. This engine was then converted for underground haulage and drove an endless rope to the pit bottom, which in turn drove haulage ropes in the roadways. The other buildings in the range were for making and repairing pit props. (Scottish Mining Museum)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions