Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Jardine Hall, Stable Block

Stable(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Jardine Hall, Stable Block

Classification Stable(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 178733

Site Number NY08NE 57.01

NGR NY 10053 87855

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Applegarth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Architecture Notes

NY08NE 57.01 10053 87855

Site Management (22 July 2008)

Large quadrangular stable block with classical W front with central large clock tower over pend, alterations 1896 (?by E J May) (probably rebuilding of N and of E ranges) and perhaps some minor works in 1899 (date on clock face to courtyard). Mainly built of red rubble, W front pedimented gables, pavilions and dressings all ashlar; 1896 arches with dropped keystones; roofs covered with graded slates. W elevation: rusticated base to cill band level; tall central round-arched and pilastered pend has square clock stage above with columned angles, and drum with circular (?dovecot) openings, ribbed dome with weathervane finial; flanking single storey wings with round-arched windows (blind, with glazed arches) pedimented 2-storey pavilions with tripartites. N and S ranges both have tall pedimented central bay, round-arched openings in latter range and cast-iron - columned (?1896) shelter to court. Tall 2-storey E range with pend at N end. (Historic Scotland)

Jardine Hall itself was demolished 1964.


Photographic Survey (April 1965)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in May 1964.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions