Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Mar Road

Track (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mar Road

Classification Track (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) White Hill

Canmore ID 17709

Site Number NJ52SW 15

NGR NJ 47 20

NGR Description NJ 47 20 to NJ 55 24

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17709

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Clatt
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ52SW 15 47 20 and 55 24.

(NJ 4720 5524) Mar's Road (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A main road from Kildrummy Castle, the seat of the Earls of Mar, little used since the construction of the road by Auchindoir and Rhynie. Simpson (1949) suggests that it was 'the ancient trackway known as Mar Road' that was being used by the Gordons to pass eastward to the Suie Road (LIN 516), and south to Edinburgh, when they were intercepted by the Forbes and the Battle of Tillyangus, 10th October, 1571 (NJ52SW 6) was fought. He adds that the names 'Drover's Hollow, Drover's Well and Resting Stone', shown beside the road on a plan of Knockespock estate dated 1841 now in Aberdeen University Library, confirm its ancient importance.

Name Book 1866; W D Simpson 1949.

Mar's Road, as described on OS 6" map sheets NJ52SE, NJ52SW, a minor drove road of little importance.

Visited by OS (RL) 4 October 1967.

(Newspaper reference cited).

NMRS, MS/712/53.

(White Hill: NJ 5283 2425). The Mar Road in this sector is a well-defined grass-grown trackway about 7m wide. It has been terraced into the rising ground on the S to a depth of 0.5m. On the N, the edge of the road is marked by a grass-grown bank measuring 4.5m in width and 0.5m in height.

Visited by RCAHMS (ATW, PC), 9 September 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions