Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Knockespock House, Symbol Stone

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Knockespock House, Symbol Stone

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Clatt 1; Clatt Churchyard

Canmore ID 17706

Site Number NJ52SW 12

NGR NJ 5442 2408

NGR Description Removed from NJ 5389 2600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17706

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Clatt
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Clatt 1, Knockespock House, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 1.76m, W 0.65m

Stone type: blue-grey granite

Place of discovery: NJ 5389 2600

Present location: at Knockespock House (NJ 5442 2408)

Evidence for discovery: first recorded in 1842, at which time it was built into the kirkyard wall at Clatt. Within a few years it had been removed and built into a nearby cottage, and when the cottage was demolished in 1890 it was taken to Knockespock House.

Present condition: considerable surface flaking has removed much of the right-hand side of the mirror and double disc and Z-rod, and the top is damaged.

Description

This rectilinear slab is incised with a triple disc symbol above a double disc and Z-rod set vertically, and alongside the latter on the right is a mirror symbol.

Date: seventh century.

References: Stuart 1856, pl 5; ECMS pt 3, 157-8: Fraser 2008, no 10.1.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Activities

Field Visit (12 September 1967)

Now moved 4.0m W of its former position, this symbol stone is as described and illustrated.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RL), 12 September 1967.

Desk Based Assessment (1967)

NJ52SW 12 5442 2408 removed from 5389 2600

(NJ 5442 2408) Sculptured Stone (NAT)

OS 25" map, Aberdeenshire, (1901).

For Pictish symbol stones ('Clatt 2 and 3') from Clatt churchyard (NJ 5389 2600 and 5384 2598), see NJ52NW 7.

A Pictish symbol stone stands close to the south wall of Knockespock House, bearing the triple ring and bar symbol, the double disc and Z-rod symbol, and the mirror symbol. It was firt noticed forming part of the old wall of the burial ground at Clatt (NJ 5389 2600) by Cook (1842).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; J Stuart 1856; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; J Ritchie 1910.

Information from OS.

Reference (1985)

This stone, originally at Clatt churchyard (NJ 5389 2600), now lies close to the S wall of Knockespock House, where it was taken in 1890; a blue-grey granite block (1.3m by 0.6m), it is incised with a triple ring and bar symbol, double disc and Z-rod and mirror.

RCAHMS 1985.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone - Clatt 1 - triple-disc above a double disc and Z-rod with a mirror on the right.

A Mack 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions