Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Coull Castle

Castle (Medieval), Coin(S)

Site Name Coull Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Coin(S)

Alternative Name(s) Aboyne Castle; Obeyn Castle; Castle Of Coull

Canmore ID 17514

Site Number NJ50SW 5

NGR NJ 51272 02236

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17514

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Coull
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ50SW 5 5125 0225.

(NJ 5125 0225) Coull Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

The Castle of Coull was one of three castles built by the Durwards c. AD 1228. Excavations from 1912 to 1923 revealed a pentagonal courtyard, 110ft broad, with the remains of three flanking towers, standing with its back to Tarland Burn, and defended in front by an enormous ditch. The absence of any pottery later than the early 14th century and the evidence from excavation that the castle was deliberately dismantled, indicate that it was probably destroyed by Bruce in AD 1307 during the War of Independence (Simpson 1924, 1925).

Fullartons Gazetteer notes that several old Scottish silver coins have been found in the vicinity (Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] 1867).

Name Book 1867; W D Simpson 1924; 1925.

The ruins of Coull Castle as described and planned by Simpson, and survive to a maximum height of 3.0m.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 25 October 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions