Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Elgin, Pinefield, Barracks

Barracks (20th Century)

Site Name Elgin, Pinefield, Barracks

Classification Barracks (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pinefield Industrial Estate

Canmore ID 174824

Site Number NJ26SW 151

NGR NJ 2318 6237

NGR Description Centred NJ 2318 6237

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/174824

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish St Andrews-lhanbryd
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ26SW 151.00 centred 2318 6237

NJ26SW 151.01 NJ 23011 62172 Pillbox

NJ26SW 151.02 NJ 2318 6261 Pillbox

NJ26SW 151.03 NJ 23071 62280 Buildings

This large permanent military barracks lies on what is now the site of Pinefield Industrial Estate, and within this area many buildings still survive which are of military origin. At the western corner of the former barracks is a pillbox (NJ26SW 151.01) with a second (NJ26SW 151.02) in a field to the N.

The barracks are visible on RAF WWII vertical air photographs (106G L/NLA 96 20.03.1945, 4110) as a group of huts, buildings and H-blocks surrounding a large parade ground.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2000

Pinefield Barracks are situated on the S side of the A96T road immediately E of the Bridge of Tyock. The barracks occupied an area of some 14.1 hectares with huts, buildings and other structures set around a centrally placed playing field.

Various buildings and huts survive within the Industrial Estate now occupying the site and lengths of the perimeter fence are also extant especially on the southern sector adjoining the railway. Some of the entrance metal gate posts are also still in situ.

Most of the surviving buildings are of brick with concrete lintels on the doors and windows. However at least two wooden huts are extant, and at NJ 23061 62522 and NJ 23028 62532 are two brick and concrete buildings with corrugated asbestos roofs, both with verandahs and metal hand rails. Other buildings survive amongst more recent constructions including one with a new roof, boarded up windows and what may be a small guard hut with two small loopholes at the W end (NJ 23047 62303).

The centrally placed playing field now has two new buildings built on it and many of the smaller huts visible on the 1945 air photographs noted above have been removed or demolished.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 28 August 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions