Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Golf Road, Z Battery

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen, Golf Road, Z Battery

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Abz1; Links Golf Courses

Canmore ID 174744

Site Number NJ90NE 68

NGR NJ 9503 0770

NGR Description Centred NJ 9503 0770

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/174744

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NE 68 centred 9503 0770

This 'Z' battery was designated as ABZ1 and consisted of 64 twin barrelled rocket mountings (U2P) with a Gun-laying radar unit, GL MkII (see NJ90NW 1437). The earliest reference to the battery in War Office records is 26 October 1942. PRO WO 166/7309 and WO 166/11169.

A Nissen hutted military camp has been identified from RAF WWII vertical air photographs (106G L/NLA 96 20.03.1945) on the links to the E of Pittodrie Park (NJ90NE 336). The air photographs also show a large area of infilled pits between the camp and the esplanade. The regular pattern of the pits are the remains of a 'Z' battery of UP (unrotating projectile) rocket launchers which are visible on RAF WWII oblique air photographs, (No.1 CAM unit, no.6015, 11.10.1942) with the accommodation camp for the crew and personnel immediately to the W. The 'Z' battery consisted of 64 launchers arranged in a pattern of eight by eight with ammunition huts surrounding each launcher, similar to that which survives on Orkney, Flotta at Golta (ND39NE 2).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2000.

Nothing is visible of either this anti-aircraft battery or its attendant military camp, both of which stood on an area of links behind the esplanade at Aberdeen Bay, an area now occupied by a golf driving range. Like most of the other defence installations that were situated on or close to the beach at Aberdeen, it was probably removed soon after the Second World War.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 5 December 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions