Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thurston Home Farm

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Thurston Home Farm

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Thurston House Policies

Canmore ID 174608

Site Number NT77SW 85

NGR NT 71447 74487

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/174608

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Innerwick (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT77SW 85 71447 74487

Following a proposal concerning alterations to the Steading, RCAHMS undertook a photographic survey in August 1998. The contact for Thurston Home Farm was a Mr. D. Dunham.

Visited by RCAHMS(MKO), August 1998.

NT 7144 7446 A historic building survey was carried out on a residential development in July and August 2005. The steading consisted of a number of farm buildings, many of which had already been converted to dwellings. The E range was in the process of being converted and was the main focus of the survey. The steading (NT77SW 85) was built in the mid-1800s as a model farm on the lands of James Hunter. The farm included a rail track running along the feeding troughs of the E range, and an engine room for a fixed steam engine which would have driven a fixed threshing machine. Three main phases of construction were recorded. The initial phase was dated to between 1844-53, followed by the

construction of cattle courts between 1853-94, and a number of subsidiary buildings constructed between 1907-44.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Tardus Ltd.

D Wilson, D Sproat 2005

Activities

Standing Building Recording (August 2005)

NT 7144 7446 A historic building survey was carried out on a residential development in July and August 2005. The steading consisted of a number of farm buildings, many of which had already been converted to dwellings. The E range was in the process of being converted and was the main focus of the survey. The steading (NT77SW 85) was built in the mid-1800s as a model farm on the lands of James Hunter. The farm included a rail track running along the feeding troughs of the E range, and an engine room for a fixed steam engine which would have driven a fixed threshing machine. Three main phases of construction were recorded. The initial phase was dated to between 1844-53, followed by the

construction of cattle courts between 1853-94, and a number of subsidiary buildings constructed between 1907-44.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Tardus Ltd.

D Wilson, D Sproat 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions