Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hoy, Lyness, Royal Naval Oil Terminal, Torpedo Depot

Cinema (Second World War), Metal Industry Site (20th Century), Military Depot (First World War)

Site Name Hoy, Lyness, Royal Naval Oil Terminal, Torpedo Depot

Classification Cinema (Second World War), Metal Industry Site (20th Century), Military Depot (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Scapa Flow; Repair Shops; Cinema; Naafi

Canmore ID 173863

Site Number ND39SW 20.12

NGR ND 30843 94352

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/173863

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Walls And Flotta
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

ND39SW 20.12 30843 94352

A large rusting corrugated iron building is situated at the NW end of a disused concrete pier. Measuring approximately 95m by 20m overall it consists of two different sections. That to the NE is two circular roofed buildings conjoined together whilst that to the SW is of five curved roofed sections. A futher building is set about 3m to the SW.

The building is shown on the Civil Engineers Department of the Admiralty plan, 1941, as the Recreation centre and N.A.A.F.I. but it was later used as a repair shop.

The sheds are still in use for a small engineering company.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, GS, SW), August 1997

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Note (27 September 2013)

Built during the First World War as a Paravane and Torpedo depot, for the storage and maintenance of naval ordnance. Built in 1918-19 the iron framed and clad sheds measure about 92m ENE-WSW by 21m transversely. The building has two sections, two conjoined parrallel structures to the ENE and a set of five transversely aligned sections to the WSW, all covered with segmental-arched roofs. Internally the parrallel sheds have belfast truss roof support allowing a large area to the roofed without the need of support.

The sheds were adapted by Cox and Danks shipbuilding company as a base for their operations in salvaging the scuttled German ships between 1924-32.

At the start of the Second World War the buildings were re-opened as a recreation centre with the WSW end incorporating the NAAFI and the ENE section as a cinema and later a stage was added.

G Stell 2010.

Note (19 June 2018)

Photographed in 2018 on behalf of the HES Threatened Buildings Survey prior to permission to demolish.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions