Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Normandykes - Fochabers

Roman Road (Roman)

Site Name Normandykes - Fochabers

Classification Roman Road (Roman)

Alternative Name(s) 'Roman Road'; Kirkton Of Rayne To Goukswell; Cadger's Road; Schoolbow; Highmuir; Mains Of Loanhead; Freefield House; Cairnhill; Fisherford

Canmore ID 173551

Site Number NJ63SE 177

NGR NJ 6750 3164

NGR Description NJ 6999 3038 to NJ 6659 3499

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Culsalmond
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ63SE 177 6999 3038 to 6659 3499. RX 18.

(formerly LIN 513 and NJ63SE 21)

(NJ 6634 - 69 30). Alleged Ro. road - not an antiquity.

(Undated) information on OS archaeology record card.

(Name at NJ 660 341, NJ 666 328, NJ 674 316 and NJ 696 308)

Supposed Site of Roman Road [GSC]

(Name at NJ 660 341)

Cadger's Road [TI]

OS 6" map, 1873.

A road on which in olden times the cadgers came from the coast with fish. The continuation of the Roman road from the Roman camp in Drumoak parish to the Roman camp at Ridikes [sic.] at Glenmellan [sic.].

OS Name Book 1867.

NJ 786 165 to NJ 565 463 Crawford (1949) examined stretches of the road, finding no evidence of Roman origin, and came to the conclusion that it was simply a medieval road from Aberdeen to the NW.

Information from OS (ES) 25 October 1972.

OGS Crawford 1949.

An old road with no Roman features. Not an antiquity.

Visited by OS (NKB), 21 February 1969.

A Roman road, supposed to run from 'the large encampment south of the River Dee' [presumably Raedykes, NO89SE 2, since Normandykes, NO89NW 1, is north of the Dee] to Glenmellan [NJ63NE 2] passed Cairnhill [NJ 66 32].

Information from OS (ESS), 7 January 1975.

NSA 1845.

Cadgers Road [NAT]

(name centred NJ 6594 3379)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1983.

(Location cited as NJ 6999 3038 to NJ 6659 3499). The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire 1873, sheets xxxv and xxxvi) depicts the 'supposed site of' a Roman Road [RX 18] said to run from the River Dee to the Spey near Fochabers. The course of the road is depicted as pecked lines leading NW across the fields from Schoolbow, Kirkton of Rayne, towards the farm of Highmui (NJ63SE 72). From here, the road turns W to run parallel with the S side of a minor road, before the two merge some 550m to the E of Mains of Loanhead (NJ63SE 70). The course of the Roman Road continues on the line of this minor road to the N of Freefield House (NJ63SE 38.00) as far as the farm at Newbigging (NJ63SE 69), where it again heads NW, passing through the farms of East and West Cairnhill (NJ63SE 65 and NJ63SE 178 respectively) until it joins the Cadgers Road to Fisherford (NJ63NE 29).

Information from RCAHMS (ARG), 20 November 2000.

The supposed line of this 'Roman road' pursues an indirect course across this mapsheet and traverses portions of the parishes of Culsalmond and Rayne.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 November 2000.

Heading in a NW direction the alleged Roman road is speculated to have passed near Highmuir (NJ6907 3151) where the course would then change to a WSW direction. Near a cistern (at NJ 6863 3137) it may underlie a minor modern road, which runs by Mains of Loanhead (NJ 6810 3130) and Newbigging (NJ 6700 3190) and joins the modern A920 public road at Cairn Hill (NJ 6681 3257). Shouldering along the S slopes of Cairn Hill, the course of the road is speculated to have headed in a NW direction to E Cairnhill (NJ 6645 3290). From this point onwards the alleged Roman road may be indicated through a small road which runs through Wets Cairnhill (NJ 6620 3330) and finally joins Cadgers Road (the modern B 992) at NJ 6573 3343, which passes the E side of Tillymorgan Hill.

(Undated) information from RCAHMS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions