Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Pollokshaws Road, Railway Bridge

Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Pollokshaws Road, Railway Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pollokshaws West Station; Pollok Park; Pollok House Policies; Pollok Golf Course

Canmore ID 172877

Site Number NS56SE 1183

NGR NS 55857 61251

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172877

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Eastwood (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Pollokshaws West Station, Pollokshaws Road, c.1847

Two platform, two-storey brick/sandstone, ground-floor street entrance/first-floor platform entrance, for Glasgow, Barrhead & Neilston Railway. Railway Overbridge, Pollokshaws Road, south of Pollokshaws West Station, 1847, Neil Robson, engineer. Single triumphal arch over driveway to Pollok House.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 1183 55857 61251

This bridge carries the Glasgow - Kilmarnock (main) line of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly over the entrance drive to Pollok Park a short distance SW of Pollokshaws West Station (NS56SE 81). It does not cross the main road, but remains in regular use by passenger traffic, and carries overhead electric power supply lines.

The structure is depicted, but not noted, on the 1989 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 February 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions