Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 18 Moss-side Road, Joe Coral Snooker Hall

Bingo Hall (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Restaurant (21st Century), Snooker Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 18 Moss-side Road, Joe Coral Snooker Hall

Classification Bingo Hall (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Restaurant (21st Century), Snooker Hall (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Abc Cinema; Bertram Street; Frankfort Street; Waverley Cinema; Waverley Picture House

Canmore ID 172858

Site Number NS56SE 1178

NGR NS 57180 62131

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172858

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Tusk Restaurant and Bar, 18 Moss-side Road, 1923, Watson, Salmond & Gray

Built as Waverley Cinema; converted 2002, United Design, to Tea Room, Bar and Restaurant. Large red ashlar corner block, in diluted 17th-century classical style. Lead-covered dome above south-east corner entrance, flanked by giant Egyptian columns. Sculptured roundels over inner windows to Frankfort Street. Slate-roofed attic storey behind main cornice. The same firm's extension to the City Chambers (see Central Glasgow Guide) was built about the same time.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 1178 57180 62131

ARCHITECT: Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1923.

Site Management (27 October 2017)

Large block, with 3 street elevations; red ashlar, some late 17th century detailing; original glazing. Lead-domed recessed and curved SE corner bay, big entrance, painted and with pair giant Egyptianised columns; centre doored 6-bay range to Moss-Side Road, part concealed by trees; 1-3-1 front to Frankfort Street, sculptured roundels over inner windows; attic storey above main cornice. Main roof slated and tarred, big roof ventilator; plain elevation to Bertram Street.

An unusual design with a striking domed entrance corner, the former Waverley Cinema is an important part of the streetscape. It is an early purpose-built cinema, an increasingly rare building type in a city closely associated with the genre. Watson, Salmond and Gray were more associated with commercial and hospital work and this may have been their only cinema design. With a seating capacity of 1,320, the Waverley Cinema opened in December 1922. It was renamed the ABC in 1964 and closed as a cinema in 1973. After use as a bingo hall, and then a snooker club from 1982, it was empty by 2002. It was later sold and converted to a bar/restaurant/club. Information from the Cinema Theatre Association suggests that interior features remain, particularly plasterwork and ironmongery to the foyer and barrel-vaulted auditorium.

References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08. (Historic Environment Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions