Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 477, 479 Balmore Road, Possil Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 477, 479 Balmore Road, Possil Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Canmore ID 172758

Site Number NS56NE 2382

NGR NS 58763 68855

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172758

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 2382 58763 68855

Hume notes that '...Possil Station, located at 441 Balmore Road. Built around 1897 for the Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway. A three platform station in a shallow cutting, with an island platform and a single sided platform....'.

The two storey and attic office builing spanned the through tracks and '...entered at first floor level from the street...'. There was a goods shed (6 bay brick) and a goods office (5 bays). The platform shelter (of wood) was demolished in 1967. It is noted that the station was closed in 1908, re-opened in 1934 and closed once more in 1964.

J R Hume 1974.

Site Management (1 October 1997)

Built for Lanarkshire and Dumbarton Railway, high level station converted to offices. Symmetrical, single storey and attic, 3-bay building with wide gables to outer bays. Red brick with decorative timber framing in gable heads, plain timber bargeboards, moulded terracotta tympana over central lights of ground floor windows. Central arched entrance with deeply swept roof over forming canopy. Outer bays with paired central arched windows and flanking flat-headed windows, all in architraves, some alteration in N bay, tripartites in gables, 6-light, long, low swept roofed dormer at centre. Various windows on side elevations and half gableted against each main stack on end wall. Slate roof with red ridge tiles. (Historic Scotland)

The two storey and attic office builing spanned the through tracks and '...entered at first floor level from the street...'. There was a goods shed (6 bay brick) and a goods office (5 bays). The platform shelter (of wood) was demolished in 1967. It is noted that the station was closed in 1908, re-opened in 1934 and closed once more in 1964. (J Hume)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions