Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Govanhill, 35 Coplaw Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Leisure Centre (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Govanhill, 35 Coplaw Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Leisure Centre (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hq 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers And Drill Hall; Leisure Centre

Canmore ID 172565

Site Number NS56SE 1156

NGR NS 58292 63116

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172565

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (25 October 2013)

The Coplaw Street drill hall is shown on the 2nd epoch map (surveyed c1893) and (in extended form)on the 3rd epoch (1909-10) OS maps of the area. The hall was built in 1884 by John Bennie Wilson as a Drill Hall . It was extended west by Wilson in 1903. It appears that only the extension now survives. It comprises two storeys and and an attic with baronial details. Ashlar walls, slated roofs. Single and mullioned windows, first floor oriels in gabled outer bays. castellated three-storey square entrance tower right, conical-roofed bartizan left.

In 1914 the hall was the HQ of the 7th battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and the base for its"A" to "H" Companies.

The drill hall was later converted to a leisure centre.

The hall, apart from the 1903 extension, has been demolished. The extension now appears to be housing.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 25 October 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions