Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Queen Margaret Drive, Queen Margaret Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Queen Margaret Drive, Queen Margaret Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Second Queen Margaret Bridge; Queen Margaret's Drive Bridge; River Kelvin

Canmore ID 172072

Site Number NS56NE 2241

NGR NS 57072 67513

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172072

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 2241 57072 67513

Queen Margaret Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1971.

For predecessor Walker's Bridge (NS c. 5717 6741), see NS56NE 2896.

Queen Margaret Bridge (2): built 1926-9 by Thomas Somers and Considiere Constructions Ltd, engineers, at a cost of £108,424. A reinforced concrete segmental bridge with small semicircular arches for footpaths on both sides. The concrete is faced with red Corncockle sandstone, and there are solid red Peterhead granite parapets. The main span is 135ft 6ins [41.3m] long.

J R Hume 1974.

Queen Margaret Bridge, 1926-9. Designed by T P M Somers (City Engineer) with Considere Constructions Ltd; contractor Wm Taylor and Son. A large concrete reinforced concrete arch over the river with pedestrian arches through both abutments, and carrying Queen Margaret Drive high above the valley. The arch is a little askew, and spans 41m (135ft). The facades are clad with very smooth and finely jointed red Corncockle sandstone, mimicking voussoir arches with keystones, and topped by cornice and parapet of polished red Peterhead granite, including short lengths of open balustrade. The width between parapets is a generous 24m (80ft).

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

The present Queen Margaret's Drive Bridge stands near the site of the old Queen Margaret College (now part of the University). It formed part of the major road improvement scheme that cut off the BBC's buildings (NS56NE 151) from the Botanic Gardens (NS56NE 83.00), and was designed by the City Engineers, Mr T P M Somers. It was built between 1926 and 1929 at a cost of around £108,000.

Despite outward appearances, the bridger is only faced with red sandstone, being in reality a reinforced concrete arch. With a single river span of 135ft [41.2m] and attractive red Peterhead granite parapets framing an 80ft [24.4m] wide road high above the water, the overal impression is created of a rather grand bridge.

D Boyce 1996.

This bridge carries Queen Margaret Drive across the River Kelvin to the NE of Kelvingrove Park (NS56NE 328). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Govan (to the SW) and Glasgow (to the NE).

The location cited defines the centre of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NS c. 57062 67502 to NS c. 57093 67522.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 December 2005.

Activities

Construction (1926 - 1929)

William Taylor and Son, contractor.

Considere Construction Ltd, engineers.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This bridge, carrying Queen Margaret Drive over the Kelvin on a slight skew, was erected from 1926–29. It

comprises a 135 ft span reinforced concrete arch clad in red sandstone and is 80 ft wide. At river level there are small pedestrian arches through each abutment. It has similarities with the larger scale George V Bridge.

The engineers were Conside're Construction Ltd and T. P. M. Somers, City Engineer and the contractor, Wm.

Taylor & Son.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions