Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Uist, Lochboisdale, General

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Uist, Lochboisdale, General

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lochboisdale, Ceann A Tuath Loch Baghasdail

Canmore ID 172068

Site Number NF71NE 12

NGR NF 7926 1942

NGR Description Centred on NF 7926 1942

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish South Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Lochboisdale (Loch Baghasdail) The unprepossessing ferry port that succeeded Loch Skipport as South Uist¿s principal harbour in about 1900 was earmarked in 1786 as a site with good potential for a fishing village, although a lease to the British Fisheries Society was not pursued. It was recognised as `a most superior site for a village¿ in Fleming¿s report of 1839 (see p.374 for a fuller quote), but by 1883 was little more than an anchorage for emigrant ships and a seasonal fishing station with `skeletons of huts, piles of peat, fish-bones, scraps of rotten nets, even broken pots and dishes¿. The 20th century did little to enhance this place; visually and commercially Lochboisdale has yet to fulfil its potential.

A redeeming landmark is the Lochboisdale Hotel, built 1882 by Iain Clachair, remodelled early 20th century, a rambling fishing hotel on a rocky platform above the bay, now whitewashed to offset trim sawtooth margins. School and attached schoolhouse, 1909, built by Fletchers of Tobermory Unprecedentedly large and lofty school complex, with generous provision of sash windows between stone mullions. The School Board of South Uist thought it more suited to a burgh than an island school, and blamed the education authority¿s brief for getting them into debt.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press


Photographic Record (1906)

Photographs taken during a visit by the Churches Commission in July 1906.

The photographs are available in PA 71.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions