Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Uist, Askernish House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Uist, Askernish House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) South Uist, Tobha Asgeirnis; Tobha Aisgeirnis

Canmore ID 171996

Site Number NF72SW 23

NGR NF 73541 23914

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171996

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish South Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Askernish House, 1835 Sturdy Georgian-style farmhouse in simple classical style, with stacks rising from internal walls in the Kintail/Lochalsh manner. Looking out to the Atlantic across a large, stonewalled garden, this was one of the three new farm houses noted by the NSA in 1837 as 'all substantially built of stone and lime, and slated'. Nearby range of steadings, 1846. Attendant T-plan estate office added later 19th century, when Askernish became the factor's house. Cladh Hallan Prehistoric village on Daliburgh Machair, one of at least 25 identified early settlements punctuating the island's west coast. Excavations here since 1994 have resulted in some extraordinary archaeological discoveries, including Scotland's earliest terraced row. Early Bronze Age beakerware has been unearthed from the great sand mound, along with evidence of a cremation cemetery of c.13 00 BC. The late Bronze Age settlement built on top of this (90 per cent of which has still to be excavated) flourished for about 1,000 years. Its dwellings mark the transition from U-shaped to round house. Three of the latter, forming part of a monumental east-facing terrace of about 1,100 bc, have been reconstructed in stone outline. Remarkably, prehistoric mummies were found interred in their foundations - corpses that had been preserved in peat and were already several hundred years old when buried. Archaeological evidence suggests that the passage of the sun dictated the siting of domestic activities within these roundhouses. The northern one appears to have had some special ritualistic association with death. The settlement was abandoned round c.400 bc. Daliburgh (Dalabrog) A scattered settlement, now the commercial hub of the island. South End Community Centre Neil & Hurd for North of Scotland Hydro Board, 1952/3 Former power station, one of few architectdesigned Modern buildings in the Uists, converted by Stuart Bagshaw & Assocs, 1982. Church of Scotland (formerly Free Church), 1863 Simple hall containing a panel-fronted pulpit and war memorial communion table, said to have been based upon Archibald Scott's abortive design of 1837 for the Howmore church; manse, completed 1880.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions