Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Uist, Bornish, St Mary's Roman Catholic Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Uist, Bornish, St Mary's Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Roman Catholic Church Of Saint Mary

Canmore ID 171962

Site Number NF72NW 38

NGR NF 73287 29703

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171962

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish South Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

St. Mary's Church (RC), 1837/8 Solitary oblong church with the stark but haunting simplicity of Ardkenneth Church. Like that church too, it originally had the priest's house combined under the same roof, although this was remodelled as the chancel by A. R. Conlon (trainee of Fairlie's), c.1955. Conlon also enhanced its austere profile with the addition of modest wings, balancing a vestry and lady chapel on either side, with a porch and apsed baptistery off the east end.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NF72NW 38 73287 29703

St Mary's Church [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, June 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions