Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Glasgow, Springfield Road, Springfield Dyeworks And Bleachworks

Bleach Works (19th Century), Dye Works (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Springfield Road, Springfield Dyeworks And Bleachworks

Classification Bleach Works (19th Century), Dye Works (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) William Miller; John Blackwood; J & H M Dickson

Canmore ID 171675

Site Number NS66SW 551

NGR NS 6178 6321

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171675

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Watching Brief (September 2009 - November 2010)

NS 6191 6307 A watching brief was undertaken, September 2009–November 2010, on all remediation works and targeted excavations across key structures in advance of development of the site. The work confirmed the presence of the key elements of the 19th-century Glasgow Waterworks, the Springfield Print and Dye Works, and Dalmarnock House. Structures recorded included the Glasgow Waterworks filtering tower and filtering pond, various buildings and structures including boilers, flues, drains and the engine house of the Springfield Print and Dye Works and elements of the Dalmarnock House designed landscape.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: VHE Construction plc and Glasgow City Council

AOC Archaeology Group 2010

Excavation (November 2010 - October 2011)

NS 6191 6307 A programme of archaeological works was undertaken, November 2010 – October 2011, in advance of development of the site. The excavation of the site of the former Springfield Print and Dye Works recorded boiler houses, machine stances, working surfaces, underground flue and drainage systems and filtering ponds.

The excavation of the site of the Glasgow Water Works (1806–1855) recorded the engine and boiler houses of both buildings. The best preserved was the early pump house (Structure 5). A series of massive foundations were recorded in both buildings. Internal features included spiral staircases, boiler stances, chimney foundations, brick surfaces and worked masonry. No evidence of the engines survived but phases of alterations were matched to known historical upgrades in the first quarter of the 19th century. The remains of brick tunnels, with some extant pipe work that was used to pump water from nearby reservoirs, were also recorded. The remains of the ancillary buildings were heavily truncated, although a long length of culvert orientated towards nearby settling ponds was undoubtedly used to transport water.

Several evaluations were conducted. One, in the vicinity of the former manor (Dalmarnock House), found no surviving traces of the building. The second, on the location of the former filtering ponds for the dye works, recorded a series of clay linings and deposits of cinder and ash that contained rows of linear clay pipes used to filter water. The third evaluation investigated the location of Springfield House, and heavily truncated foundations were found to exist below the current ground level. The remains identified in the evaluation trenches included the sandstone foundations of the main house walls, internal wall lines, drainage and plumbing features and the sub-floor damp course layer.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended). Report: RCAHMS

Funder: City Legacy Ltd

Phil Moore, CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2013

(Source: DES)

Desk Based Assessment (15 August 2017)

The Springfield Print and Dyeworks in Dalmarnock were founded in 1826 by William Miller and Sons and are first depicted on the 1832 Parliamentary Reform Act Plan of Glasgow as one rectangular building lying parallel to the River Clyde on its NW bank. The 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanark 1858, Sheet VI.16) shows that the works had expanded greatly in the previous 26 years, with a series of buildings then occupying an area measuring about 300m from ENE to WSW by 80m transversely, sandwiched between land to the N that was occupied by Glasgow Water Works (NS66SW 1023) and the garden of Springfield House (NS66SW 495) to the S. Further expansion occurred between 1858 and 1895, the works expanding westwards and southwards (2nd edition OS 25-inch map, Lanarkshire 1895, Sheet 006.16). By 1912, however, the dyeworks had fallen in to disuse, the site then used for other industrial works, with a tallow factory and sawmill depicted on the 3rd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanarkshire 1912, Sheet 006.16). Further industrial works continued on the site and by 1953 Springfield Chair Works, a flock mill, chemical works, bakery, jute sack factory, wood box factory, spring works and cooperage all occupied the location of the dyeworks (OS Town Plan 1953, Sheet NS6163). The site is now occupied by part of the 2014 Commonwealth Games Athletes Village.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 15 August 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions