Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

North Uist, Lochmaddy, Old Courthouse

Court House (19th Century), Jail (19th Century), Yard (19th Century)

Site Name North Uist, Lochmaddy, Old Courthouse

Classification Court House (19th Century), Jail (19th Century), Yard (19th Century)

Canmore ID 171555

Site Number NF96NW 31

NGR NF 91757 68861

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171555

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish North Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Sheriff Courthouse, Matthews & Lawrie, 1875; later wing, Ross & MacBeth, 1892 A solid corner building in a place not given to street corners, with gothicstyle windows and doorpieces. Old Courthouse, 1827, with ashlar wing by James Ross, 1845. A domestic-looking front block, with porches like sentry boxes flanking its rear wing; one leads to the courtroom, one to a row of four vaulted cells. An observation slit overlooks the enclosed eight-sided exercise yard. Continuing as a prison until 1891, it opened as the North Uist branch of the Scottish Home Industries Assoc (marketing Home Spun Tweeds) in 1900, and more recently was remodelled as a house.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions