Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Garrabost, Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Garrabost, Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Garrabost Church Of Scotland

Canmore ID 171424

Site Number NB53SW 26

NGR NB 52182 33603

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171424

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Garrabost Parish Church, c.1910. Commodious, piendroofed hall matching those at Barvas and Cross, formerly the United Free Church Brickworks, founded mid-19th century by Sir James Matheson, a red brick building now with corrugated iron roof, converted to a byre (kilns all demolished). Like Matheson's chemical works, the enterprise was ultimately a failure. Meal Mill, 1893 Mill building of locally quarried stone, with kiln and stables of Garrabost brick. The mill, which ceased fulltime operation in 1956, has an overshot wheel formerly powered by water from Allt-nan-Gall (no longer working), and what is believed to be the only surviving example of a Simplex Oil Engine, dating from 1908, and still operational. The meal mill was restored to full working order in 1988-90 and produces barley flour used by the local bakery.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions