Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Tarbert, Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Harris, Tarbert, Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Scotland

Canmore ID 171146

Site Number NG19NE 13

NGR NG 15929 99820

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171146

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Main Street A parade of unpretentious, mostly midlate 19th-century houses bordering East Loch Tarbert, skewed along the waterfront towards the late 20th-century paraphanalia of Caledonian Macbrayne's ferry dock. Amidst this, the M-roofed tin and timber Tarbert Stores, late 19th century, is a colourful survivor formerly associated with the fishing industry. Church of Scotland, 1862 Built as the Free Church to replace a former missionary church, a simplified version of the format adopted by the Parliamentary parish churches of c.1829. T-plan galleried interior, segmental-arched windows and gable belfry. The Manse, c.1862, but old fashioned for its date, is still the house of the village, with a broadgabled, Georgian-style front presiding over the harbour entrance from its own grounds.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions