Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Rodel, House

Grain Warehouse (18th Century)(Possible), House (Period Unassigned), Storehouse (18th Century)

Site Name Harris, Rodel, House

Classification Grain Warehouse (18th Century)(Possible), House (Period Unassigned), Storehouse (18th Century)

Canmore ID 171137

Site Number NG08SW 16

NGR NG 04624 83311

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171137

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Site Management (16 February 1994)

2 storey 3 bay girnal in rendered rubble. The main elevation features a forestair leading to a central door at first floor level, flanked by a small single casement window to either side with 19th century glazing. Ground floor level is accessed via 3 doors on the rear elevation. The roof is in corrugated iron, whilst a walled close sits to the rear with a flat-arched cart opening. It is surrounded by a high rubble wall to the rear. A low and roofless rectangular-plan outbuilding is recessed to the right.

Presumably part of the development programme at Rodel by Captain MacLeod of Harris in the 1780s. MacLeod had purchased the island from the MacLeods of Harris, and had moved there to stay in about 1782. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions