Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Rodel, General

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Harris, Rodel, General

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rodil; Roghadal

Canmore ID 171126

Site Number NG08SW 15

NGR NG 0464 8327

NGR Description Centred on NG 0464 8327

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/171126

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Rodel (Roghadal) The former "capital" of Harris, a sheltered haven on the southern tip, with the remnants of Macleod of Harris's 18th-century fishing station overlooked by the most important medieval building in the Western Isles. The small, green valley of Rodel was cleared in 1820.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Activities

Aerial Photography (May 1966)

Oblique aerial photographs of St Clements Church, Rodel, Harris, and the surrounding area, photographed by John Dewar in 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions