Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Sutor, Coast Battery, Engine House

Engine House (Second World War), Engine House (First World War)

Site Name South Sutor, Coast Battery, Engine House

Classification Engine House (Second World War), Engine House (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Cromarty Defences; Fort South Sutor: Site No. 4

Canmore ID 170778

Site Number NH86NW 11.09

NGR NH 81000 67029

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/170778

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH86NW 11.09 81000 67029

Field survey work has ascertained that this concrete and brick built building is an engine house (not a magazine) which is set in a stone revetted/lined sunken rectangular pit situated at the N end of the site . The structure retains camouflage on the external walls and internally, the engine plinths with an oil sump and a small wooden cabin.

The camouflaged engine house is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2003

Activities

Note (24 July 2013)

The engine house or power house was built 1913 as part of the construction of the battery (The National Arcive WO 78/5192). It appears to have been built in a natural hollow which was enlarged. The hollow was enclosed by a large stone revetted wall on its N and E sides. Access was down a stairway and engines were delivered by means of the adjacent slipway. The original power house was probably wooden and was replaced by the present Second World War period concrete engine house.

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions