Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Heugh, Hall Of Logy Rothwayne

Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned), Moated Site (Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Site Name Heugh, Hall Of Logy Rothwayne

Classification Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned), Moated Site (Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Ordie Moss; Loch Davan; Monandauan Burn

Canmore ID 17070

Site Number NJ40SW 2

NGR NJ 4475 0075

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17070

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Logie-coldstone
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ40SW 2 4475 0075.

(NJ 4475 0075) Fort (NR) Moat (NR)

OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1902)

A medieval moated homestead, probably the Hall of Logy Rothwayne, headquarters of Andrew de Moray 29th, 30th November 1335 during the battle of Culblean (NJ40SW 1).

W D Simpson 1936.

The moat is still in good preservation, about 30ft. wide and in most parts 5 to 6ft under the level of the central mound, which is slightly domed, measures about 60 yards diameter and is entirely bare of remains. (Information from Aberdeen Press and Journal, 9 September 1925).

A homestead moat bounded on the N and W by dried up ponds (supply ponds) and on the S by reclaimed marsh lands. The only dry approach is from the NE.

The raised central area is oval, measuring c.80.0m by c.50.0m, and is surrounded by the moat, averaging c.8.0m wide, contained by the remains of a substantial bank, c.14.0m. maximum width, c.1.7m maximum height, which almost disappears in the SE. A narrow gap in the N is possibly the site of a sluice. A wide gap in the bank on the NE may have been associated with an entrance, but it could be later mutilation.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 12 November 1968.

This site is listed in an Atlas of Scottish History (McNeill and MacQueen 1996) as a moated site.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) September 1997

NJ 447 007 During the spring of 1999 a detailed survey was carried out of the medieval moated homestead at Loch Davan (NMRS NJ40SW 2) as part of a wider project to investigate medieval defended sites on Deeside. This was the first full survey of the site and evidence was found of a stone structure on the mound, of associated linear stone/earthworks, of stone footings for the earth rampart, and of a field system. Contour surveys suggest a complex of three feeder ponds and sluice gates to maintain water levels in the moat and provide further defences for the site. Enigmatic stone-filled hollows were noted on raised ground to the W. A possible causeway and bridge across the Loch Davan burn are still being investigated. A piece of medieval green-glazed pottery (probably 13th/14th century) of local origin was found on the surface in the sluice of the moat.

Survey report lodged with NMRS and Aberdeenshire Council.

D Irving, D Anderson, K Cooper and A Bruggiman 1999

Scheduled as 'Heugh, homestead moat and earthworks 500m SSE of,... surviving as a series of earthworks in an improved field at 170m above sea level... on the edge of Loch Davan, where it meets the Monandauan Burn.'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 21 March 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions