Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barra, Cuier, Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Barra, Cuier, Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Manse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cuithir Parish Church; Barra Parish Church And Churchyard

Canmore ID 170550

Site Number NF60SE 47

NGR NF 67068 03418

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/170550

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barra
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Parish Church, Alexander Robertson, 1825, built by Peter Dawson, 1829-34

A four-bay rectangular block, the west elevation (opposite pulpit) left deliberately blank to allow conversion to a T-plan if more room required, and of sufficient height to be fitted with galleries 'to accommodate 200 more if necessary'. Burial enclosures to north and north east.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions