Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 24 Vinicombe Street, Botanic Garden Garage

Garage (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 24 Vinicombe Street, Botanic Garden Garage

Classification Garage (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Vinicombe Lane

Canmore ID 168622

Site Number NS56NE 1995

NGR NS 56838 67267

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/168622

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

Located by Hume at 16-17 Vinicombe Street and originally founded in around 1906 by A K Kennedy. The two-storey, 5 bay front building with large windows, and finished in green and white tiles dates from 1911.

D V Wyllie was the architect and the steel roof trusses are of an unusual design.

J R Hume, 1974.

Early garage building of c. 1912.

Photographed by the RCAHMS Threatened Buildings Survey

2007.

Site Management (11 July 2007)

Distinctive 2-storey, 5-bay, white and green faience street elevation in Italian Romanesque style.

An exceptionally early and rare surviving example of a public motor garage, the former Botanic Gardens Garage is likely to be the earliest surviving example in Scotland. Public garages of this era which comprise more than one storey are also very rare and this may be the only one of its type in Scotland. By the early 1900s the site was owned by a Mrs Kennedy and she employed the Glasgow architect D V Wyllie to work on a number of projects in the area, including the construction of the tenement adjacent to the garage from where access to the first floor of the garage was gained. Plans dated 1906 which affected the area behind this neighbouring tenement are titled, 'Extension to Motor Garage'. Earlier plans dated 1905 describe a workshop on the site.

While the different phases of development are not yet fully understood it is clear that a motor garage was on the site from at least 1906. The faience street elevation appears (with an additional top storey which was not constructed) on plans by Wyllie dated May 1911 and described as 'proposed additions to garage buildings'. While the earliest parts of the building may have been adapted from existing structures, the green and white faience street elevation phase was certainly purpose-built and deliberately eye-catching. As one of the first of its type this building was innovative and the use of the distinctive decorative faience is of particular special interest. The street elevation remains largely unaltered. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions