Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 403-405 Cumberland Street, St Francis Roman Catholic Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 403-405 Cumberland Street, St Francis Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) United Presbyterian Church

Canmore ID 168223

Site Number NS56SE 891

NGR NS 59493 63750

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/168223

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

St Francis Centre, 405 Cumberland Street, 1868, Gilbert Blount

Built as St Francis RC Church and Friary. Very tall church rebuilt 1870, Pugin & Pugin, in their characteristic Decorated Gothic. Converted to community centre 1996, Page & Park. Elegant three-storey timber and glass suite of function rooms inserted within the church. Original Blount Friary converted to high-quality flats for the elderly, 1996, Page & Park. Glasgow Institute of Architects Award, 1997. Civic Trust Award, 1998. Shortlisted for Regeneration of Scotland Award, 1998. (See also Page & Park's similar insert at St Teresa of Lisieux, p. 00.)

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 891.00 59493 63750

NS56SE 891.01 NS 59518 63739 Friary

NMRS REFERENCE

Glasgow, 403-407 Cumberland Street, United Presbyterian Church.

ARCHITECT: Gilbert Blount 1868

Pugin and Pugin c.1901

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions