Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 52 Langside Drive

Villa (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 52 Langside Drive

Classification Villa (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hughenden; Scott House Old People's Home

Canmore ID 167596

Site Number NS56SE 830

NGR NS 57315 60343

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/167596

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Scott House Old People's Home, 52-56 Langside Drive, c.1890

Nos 52-54 built as two symmetrical cream sandstone, slate-roofed villas, occupied from 1897 as one, 'Hughenden', by Hugh McCulloch, decorator. Fabulous Glasgow Style interiors and stained glass from Wylie & Lochhead. Interiors, c.1902, probably E A Taylor, or John Ednie. Music room contains glass, probably David Gauld, of Pre-Raphaelite musicians. Other notable features include Jessie Marion King-style frieze of stencilled maidens. Stair window stained glass of harvest scene with classical maidens carrying fruit, c.1898, Harrington Mann. No 56, linked by corridor, is an asymmetrical red sandstone Arts & Crafts villa with Baronial details, built for a shipbuilder. Medieval great hall with much timber panelling. Stair window 19th-century stylised flower stained glass.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions