Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Hill Of Dunnideer

Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Site Name Hill Of Dunnideer

Classification Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dunnydeer; Mill Of Dunnideer

Canmore ID 166817

Site Number NJ62NW 162

NGR NJ 6099 2809

NGR Description Centred NJ 6099 2809

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Insch
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ62NW 162 centred 6099 2809

Little is now visible of an area of broad rig-and-furrow cultivation recorded on the SW flank of the Hill of Dunnideer on a vertical aerial photograph taken in June 1946 (106G/SCOT/UK 130, 2249). The rigs are aligned NNE and SSW, but since that time they have been gradually ploughed down, and only their NNE ends can now be seen in the rough pasture immediately below the lowermost defences of the fort NJ62NW 1.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 25 May 1999.

This site, and others on Dunnideer Hill, was affected by a fire that spread across the grass and exposed archaeological features, including pottery and other materials. Historic Scotland funded a project to assess the damage the fire did to the upstanding archaeology, and any remains exposed by it or the fire brigade's work (they stripped turf in an attempt to contain the spreading fire).

S Badger2006


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions