Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Errol Parish Church Graveyard

Burial Ground (17th Century)

Site Name Errol Parish Church Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Errol Church Graveyard; Errol Churchyard

Canmore ID 166443

Site Number NO22SE 44

NGR NO 25226 22814

NGR Description Centred NO 25226 22814

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/166443

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Errol
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22SE 44 centred 25226 22814

See also NO22SE 23.00.

NO 2522 2281 A watching brief was carried out during repair work to two sections of retaining wall at Errol Churchyard (NO22SE 23.00). No bones were disturbed during work on the western wall, but during the excavation of the southern wall, a quantity of disarticulated human skeletal remains, coffin nails, pottery and glass were recovered. All human remains were retained and will be returned.

Report lodged with Perth and Kinross SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsor: Perth and Kinross Council.

M Kirby 2003.

Site Management (29 October 2009)

Rubble walls enclosing L-plan graveyard containing site of former parish church.

17th century tomb chests with clearly carved emblems of the dead, include that of Alexander Omay, 1639. 18th century gravestones of good sculptural quality and mural monument (to W) with relief carving flanked by Roman Doric columns supporting battered cope and deep roll-moulded panel (detail eroded). Headstone with angel's head and wings flanked by initials 'DM' (May) and 'SD' (Duff), of 1762. 19th century stones include simple stone with 3 carved hearts over commemorative inscription 'ERECTED BY WILLIAM FLOWERDEW (CHURCH') OFFICER IN ERROL, 1808'. Moulded-apex incised memorial to 'WILLIAM MELVILLE BORN 15 MARCH 1772 DIED AT MEGGINCH 21 JULY 1862/HAVING PASSED HALF A CENTURY IN INDUSTRIOUS EMPLOYMENT AT MEGGINCH HE DEPARTED THIS LIFE HONOURED AND LAMENTED BY HIS NUMEROUS FRIENDS'; the stone was erected by J M Drummond of Megginch. Obelisk commemorating Reverend David Dow, died 1818, with name of sculptor 'D JACK' incised over vermiculated plinth.

GATEPIERS AND GATES: pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers with 2-leaf decorative ironwork gates. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions