Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Lewis, Stornoway, Lews Castle, Creed Lodge

Bridge (Period Unassigned), Gate(S) (Period Unassigned), Gate Lodge (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Stornoway, Lews Castle, Creed Lodge

Classification Bridge (Period Unassigned), Gate(S) (Period Unassigned), Gate Lodge (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lewis Castle; Lews Castle College; Lews Castle Policies And Gardens

Canmore ID 166366

Site Number NB43SW 49.06

NGR NB 40481 32608

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/166366

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

In the 1840s Matheson began an extensive planting programme, which transformed the bare slopes of Gearraidh Chruaidh and removed large numbers of people from their grazing lands, eradicating existing settlements. However, in this decade of potato famine, he provided welcome employment. There were private pleasure grounds and woodland gardens to be planted, a park and glen walk to be landscaped, carriage drives and paths to be made, and estate buildings to be constructed. The later 19th century saw further landscaping, the introduction of specimen trees, a terraced garden and new kitchen garden, and foreshore works leading to Cuddy Point, a sham forework of 1868 with battlemented seawalls. Overlooking a curved terrace on the slopes above, the Matheson Monument, erected by Sir James's widow, 1880, is a domed baldacchino of marble, restored 2005, when its missing statue was returned. Various later 19th century lodges, also designed by Charles Wilson c.1840s, include: Creed Lodge, with a diagonally-set turret and rare surviving polygonal cast-iron gatepiers (its drive usurped the former public road); Porter's Lodge, a gothic gatehouse straddling the main drive from Bayhead, and Marybank Lodge, guarding an imposing entrance to the castle, with carriage and pedestrian gates between quadrants and octagonal piers. In its garden, octagonal kennels, a roofless version of those at Grimersta and Uig, c.1870

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (August 2011 - January 2012)

CFA Archaeology Ltd undertook an assessment of the probable effects on cultural heritage interests of the construction and operation of an underground cable route and three proposed substations, at Pentland Road on the western outskirts of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis.

Eighteen heritage features have been identified within the 500m study corridor centred on the proposed cable route.

Direct effects may occur on any historic features that are known to be or could potentially be within areas where ground may be directly disturbed as a result of the development, while other construction activities such as vehicle movement and peat storage have the potential to cause direct, permanent and irreversible effects on historic features.

Funder:

CFA Archaeology Ltd

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions