Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Elgin, 'maison Dieu'

Almshouse (Medieval), Burial Ground (Medieval), Chapel (Medieval)

Site Name Elgin, 'maison Dieu'

Classification Almshouse (Medieval), Burial Ground (Medieval), Chapel (Medieval)

Canmore ID 16615

Site Number NJ26SW 12

NGR NJ 2232 6262

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16615

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Elgin
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ26SW 12 2232 6262.

(NJ 2232 6262) Maison Dieu (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

No trace remains of the Preceptory of the Maison Dieu but in the centre of the Maison Dieu Park, which is to the south of Easton House, was its chapel, which had a large gothic window. In 1773 the walls of the old Popish Chapel called Maison Dieu were blown down by a hurricane (Information from the Scots Magazine, January 1773). The chapel had a burial ground - all that remains of both are a few hummocks.

H B Mackintosh 1924.

Founded between AD 1222 and 1237, the Maison Dieu at Elgin was burned in 1390 then rebuilt, misused, granted to the Blackfriars of Elgin in 1520 and finally granted by James VI to the Provost and Council of Elgin in 1594/5.

D E Easson 1957.

This site is now occupied by new building development. The site was excavated during the 1914-18 war without result. A few skulls have been turned up in the recent building operations.

Visited by OS (R D L) 11 December 1962.

Information from Mr Harrison, Director, Elgin Museum.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions