Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 1 Moray Place

Terraced House (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 1 Moray Place

Classification Terraced House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 81 Nithsdale Road

Canmore ID 165709

Site Number NS56SE 726

NGR NS 57756 62812

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/165709

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

No 1-10 Moray Place, 1859, Alexander Thomson

Perhaps the most beautiful of all 19th-century terraces, this was 'Greek' Thomson's first speculative development. A serene long classical colonnaded terrace, two storeys high, visually stopped by full-height pilastered, Greek pedimented end bays. Viewed from the end, the pilasters of the central range conceal the recessed decorative doors, the frameless windows and even the mutual walls between houses. The deep cornices are decorated with exquisitely carved anthemion (stylised honeysuckle) at eaves level and with Greek key at first floor. Lotus-flower chimneypots can be seen at the rear. Nos 11-17, c.1864, possibly Alexander Thomson. Conventional symmetrical terraced house design, faintly recalling 'Greek' Thomson's adjoining terrace. Pedimented end pavilions, inset pilasters. Nos 19-25, c.1872. Another speculative builder-designed, two-storey terrace of classical houses with big bows at ends and Greek key ornament between floors. Nos 27-32, 1890s. Simplified classical two-storey terraced houses, between advanced Scots Renaissance gable ends, with bay windows, returning in adjoining Gardens.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Alexander Thomson 1860

Alexander Greek Thomson's own house

Additions drawings in the housedated 1900 signed John Bennie Wilson for addition of a consulting room and waiting room and side entrance with bedrooms above.

Plans: Mr Stanger, 7 Moray Place. Measured drawings by E.S. Boyle - details & chimneypiece.

This house was recorded by the Threatened Buildings Survey on 23 February 2007 because areas of original stenciled decoration were uncovered prior to redecoration. The house and the other 9 houses in the terrace were designed by Alexander " Greek" Thomson c.1859-61. John McIntyre was the builder and the total cost of the terrace was approx. £5,600. Thomson himself lived in this house. In 1900 John Binnie Wilson added a new wing to the NE in a sympathetc Thomsonian style. The architectural historian and writer Gavin Stamp also lived here.

The house retains many of its original fixtures and fittings including plasterwork, fireplaces, doors and cast iron staircase balustrade. THe photogra-phs show the extent and elaboarte nature of the stenciled decoration.

RCAHMS STG 2009

Activities

Construction (1859 - 1861)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions