Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alexandria, 35 Smollet Street, Ewing Gilmour Institute For Girls

Masonic Hall (Period Unassigned), School (19th Century)

Site Name Alexandria, 35 Smollet Street, Ewing Gilmour Institute For Girls

Classification Masonic Hall (Period Unassigned), School (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gilmour Street; Masonic Temple

Canmore ID 165583

Site Number NS38SE 64

NGR NS 38829 80135

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/165583

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Bonhill (West Dunbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Architecture Notes

NS38SE 64 38829 80135

designed by John Archibald Campbell and dated to 1888 (Historic Scotland Listing information). The building was built as the Ewing Gilmour Institute for Working Girls. It is shown as the Institute for girls on early Ordnance Survey maps at least until the c.1915 edition, thereafter as the Masonic Hall. The painted hall is by Harrington Mann, one of the Glasgow Boys.

It is now in use as a Masonic temple.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), April 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions